Thursday, February 10, 2011

What do you want your children to remember about you?

This school year,  Kaydee has been blessed with an amazing 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Vega.  The other day her facebook post simply said "What do you want your children to remember about you?"  I sat there for a second trying to think of an honest simple answer.  I decided to respond "I hope my children remember that I loved, I cared, I paid complete attention, and that I always encouraged them to do their best."  Ever since then, I've been thinking about other things that they may or may not remember.  What part of parenting, in relation to a childs overall upbringing, is remembered and what isn't? I want to be the best mother God can allow.  I want to raise happy, healthy, educated, humble kids.  Am I doing a good enough job expressing how much I love them? Or will they just remember the times I was on their little tails to take baths, brush teeth, do homework, clean your room, get to bed?  How do I protect without prohibiting experiences?  At the end of the day, I just hope they recognize that I was there.  Morning, noon & night, I was there.  Sick days, grumpy days, sunny days, sad days, snow days, busy days I was there.  100% there. Being a parent is all I ever wanted, God blessed me times 3.  I never realized the pressure parents have when raising kids, you only get one shot!  I gave my life to them the second they were born. I am not afraid to admit that being a mother defines me, not completely, but it's what my life at this moment is all about.  I am a wife, friend, daughter, sister, but above all my title is MOM.  This is what I want my kids to remember.  God help me.

We worry about what our child will become tomorrow, but we forget that he is someone today. - Stacia Tauschia

Children need love, especially when they don't deserve it. - Harold Hulbert

While we try and teach our children about life, our children teach us what life is all about. - Angela Schwindt

The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child. - Joe Houldsworth

If you haven't time to respond to the tug of your pant leg, your schedule is too crowded. - Robert Brault


1 comments:

Molly said...

LOVE this Jamie! Thanks for the reminder that I sometimes need. I will sit and ponder this, although I'm sure my answer won't be much different from yours. You're such a wonderful mother, and I KNOW your kids feel the same way!!

xoxo

Post a Comment