Thursday, March 10, 2011

Do you stereotype?

Think about it.  I consider myself a very understanding person, accepting of others.  I am, however, guilty of judging people, things & places to quickly.  It's easy to do, and opportunities can be passed up, people can be overlooked and situations can go to waste based on stereotyping, being judgemental & assuming things to quickly.  The reason I ask, specifically, Tuesday.... I took the kids on a surprise trip to the Helping Hands Humane Society to look at dogs.  It was all very overwhelming, I have a huge heart and it was breaking to see so many good dogs in need of homes.  The kids were freaked out by the smell, and the noise.  Especially Carsen, so we didn't stay long.  While we were there, there was one dog in particular that caught my eye.  She was one of the only ones not barking her head off.  She was quiet, petite and very calm.  She just sat there at her gate gazing up at me.  I bent down & talked puppy talk to her for a minute before leaving.  Distracted by Carsens repeated vomitting the entire way home, I had little time to process anything from our mini tour.  During dinner ( oh my I'm rambling aren't I? ) I was telling Chris about going, oh by the way I didn't tell him I was in the market for a dog (ha!).  He gave me that look, he knows when I have my mind set on something he has little chance of talking me out of it.  Thinking back to this sweet little pup, I got very emotional.  We logged on to the HHHS website to look her up.  Wait for it.... here it comes.... prepare to judge stereotype & assume..... she's an American Pit Bull Terrier.  That didn't even ring a bell!  I'm oblivious and somewhat stupid not educated when it comes to breeds of animals.  I knew at that moment that it was going to take more than my big blue eyes and long batting eye lashes to get Chris to come around to the idea.  I called asap the next morning and I knew that phone call would make or break this idea.  These are things I found out:
  • The dog is pure bread ( confirmed via blood test )
  • The shelter has just aquired the proper certification to adopt out this breed
  • The dog is young
  • The dog was a stray
  • The dog has passed ( with flying colors ) extensive evaluation for behaivor & disposition
  • The dog is calm, quiet and has never shown aggression while at the shelter
  • This dog will be the very first American Pit Bull Terrier to qualify for adoption via the HHHS
  • The adoption process is very intense, extensive & VERY picky! The shelter doesn't handle it, they contract a local pit bull rescue organization that has tons of experience.
All of these things seemed so positive.  Chris still had his reservations, he too was guilty of stereotyping.  You tend to only hear & remember the bad.  Not often the good.  I went that next day & filled out the application.  It took me 45 minutes to get through it.  Chris & I had to pass a back ground check, we had to list references.  We have to pass a home inspection!!  Yes, a home inspection!  It suddenly became a matter of if WE were good enough for the dog, not if the dog was good enough for us!  They warned us that bad bad people in this society aquire these dogs for very bad things.  They have to make sure we are good people, with good intentions.  I'm a fighter, this dog is special, this dog is worth fighting for.  This dog doesn't deserve the stereotype & judgement of the horror stories.  Anyways, this story is gone on WAY too long, if any of you are even still reading it!  Thank you!  I need your encouragement, understanding & faith.  I am determined to prove a better standard for this dog.  Someone, to remain nameless, said "You guys are not pitt bull people."  What does that mean?  Again, another stereotype.  Hell, she could have been ANY other breed, I don't care what breed she is or isn't.  She will be loved, raised right & for that I pray.  Oh, and we've already named her.  Ty was a little pissed that I veto'd his vote for the name Harold.  Sorry buddy.  We are naming her Harlo, if we are lucky enough to pass all this crap and be accepted.  Are we good enough people to deserve her?  Chris is on board now, after my constant research of good things.  If everything happens for a reason, I guess we're about to find out.

2 comments:

MrsV said...

Correction... MONDAY. This all started causing me sleepless nights on Monday.

Kelly said...

You will get her!! I have faith & it will all work out. When do you find out? Also - yes super guilty of judging people/situations too quickly.

Post a Comment